Oct. 12, 2020, Matthew 28:16-20
Everybody today is looking for the bottom line. The summary. What’s my purpose? What’s the plan? Some might even ask what are my marching orders?
After Jesus had suffered and died on the cross, he was raised from the dead and spent a short time with his disciples before he rose into heaven. Jesus knew he would be going to be with the Father and before he went he summarized the plan for the followers. Our purpose, plan, and directive as Jesus revealed it is given with “all authority in heaven and earth.”
- Go - Get out there invite, love, and serve people in the world.
- Make Disciples - Share the Good News of salvation in Christ - teach people to follow and live like Jesus.
- All Nations - All people everywhere…period.
- Baptize in the name of Father, Son, Holy Spirit
- Teach people how to obey everything Jesus commanded. - Develop relationships that show, model, and live out a loving God and people like Jesus loved.
This is the plan. Are you engaged? As a follower of Jesus, you (and all followers) are commissioned to carry out this plan - authorized and commanded by Jesus.
That may seem like a tall order but remember that everything that God commands he also equips and provides provision. You are equipped with the love of God, Scripture, prayer, the power of the Holy Spirit and the body of Christ - the church.
Lord Jesus, thank you for your Great Commission. Thank you for the direct commission to our lives and our days. Thank you for the focus of the mission ahead. Amen
Questions for reflection:
- How has your life been affected by Jesus’ Great Commission?
- How have you engaged your life in the purpose and calling Jesus has given you?
- What are things you can do today, this week, this month, this year to get involved?
- A year from now how would you answer these questions and how will you measure progress?