Going on a short-term mission trip requires a financial commitment. The cost associated with the trip covers travel, lodging, food and other incidentals/fees. In addition to the trip cost – individuals are responsible for self-funding passports, visas, medications, immunizations and personal items associated with the trip (ask your trip leader for specifics regarding your trip). For some individuals, the financial cost of the trip may feel insurmountable. However, trusting God to supply the funds necessary may be a part of your spiritual journey of faith.
Participants are personally responsible for the financial aspects of the trip. We encourage participants to take the following steps in preparation:
- Pray that God will lead you to resources for the trip. Prayer is powerful!
- Examine your current financial situation. See if God reveals any unexpected resources (e.g., bonuses, tax returns, birthday gifts, extra income opportunities, garage sale, etc.)
- Save for the trip. Review how you are using your financial resources. God may be calling you to simplify your life and remove the excesses we tend to accumulate. Or, there may be opportunities for you to consider temporarily working a second job.
- Ask your close friends, relatives, co-workers and neighbors if they will help. Your community may feel blessed to participate with you in your mission journey by funding part of the trip cost. A sample fundraising letter can be found here. Please revise the letter to reflect, in your own words, why you are participating in this mission trip. By sharing your experience through updates and stories, you will be providing friends and relatives an opportunity to effectively participate in the mission trip.
- Lastly, don’t forget to send a personal thank-you to each contributor. And, after your mission trip, send an update to each contributor telling them about your experience.
At the time of registration, a deposit is due and goes toward total trip cost. After the initial deposit, there will be two payment deadlines, with the trip needing to be paid in full one month prior to departure. Payment and/or donations can be made in two ways:
- You can pay through your Managed Missions online trip account.
- You can also set up a public fundraising page with a specific link to your trip account for friends and family to make donations.
- Checks made payable to Lutheran Church of Hope must include both the name of the trip and your name in the memo section (i.e., “Mission Haiti, Oct 2019 – John Smith”).
- As you receive donation checks, deliver them to the Hope Missions Team (Attn: Tamara) as soon as possible – this will allow you to have an up-to-date total in your trip account, allowing you to accurately monitor how much money has come in and how much is still owed.
- Donations received in your name will go to fund your Hope Mission Trip account – no funds will be distributed to you directly. Please note: Because Mission Trip donations are tax-deductible, any funds raised above your trip cost will go into the Hope Mission Assistance Fund to support future trip participants.
If you have any questions about fundraising support, please contact the Missions Team at 515- 222-1520 or email@example.com.